There are two kidneys situated on either side in the abdomen.
Function of the kidneys:-
- Excretion of nitrogenous waste products from the body.
- Maintenance of Hb (Hemoglobin) level.
- Maintenance of strength of bones by keeping the blood Calcium levels normal
What are the kidneys?
- The kidneys are two internal organs, about 4 inches (11.25 centimeters) in length. These are positioned in your backside, on top of your waist, and are covered by your ribs.
What functions do healthy kidneys perform?
- They balance the body’s water content.
- They eliminate waste elements from the blood. Waste elements originated from body cells and meals which are consumed.
- They help keep body chemicals in balance.
- The kidneys work hard to remove extra waste and fluid from your body.
- Consider the kidneys as a filtering system. Blood goes all the way to the kidneys and is cleaned. Each day, the kidneys produce about 190 liters of liquid substance and reabsorb all but one to two liter, which comes out as urine.
How does this work?
- First, the kidney blood vessels stream blood to the kidneys.
- Then, inside the kidneys, millions of filters called glomeruli clean the blood to make urine.
- The additional waste elements and additional fluid which is not needed by the body is removed from the blood vessels.
- The cleaned blood goes back to the body by the kidney blood vessels.
- The waste elements and excess liquid, known as urine, is carried from the kidneys towards the bladder through the tubes known as ureters.
- The bladder holds the urine before it is passed from the body system.
- Kidneys additionally support to maintain your body chemicals in balance.
- Specifically, the kidneys produce various hormones and chemicals that:
- Prompt the bone marrow to make red blood cells. Red blood cells help oxygen get carried into your body. Without sufficient red blood cells, you may develop anemia, which will cause you to feel weak, cold, and tired.
- Help the body consume vitamin D. For strong and healthy bones, Vitamin D is necessary.
- Keep your blood pressure under control. A high blood pressure level is really a critical condition. It leads to stroke, heart disease, and kidney disease.
Dr. Vinant Bhargava is a famous Kidney Specialist in Delhi who treat all kidney related problems.